Saturday, June 9, 2012

Little Did I Know

Little did I know that early in the morning September 11, 2001 when 19 hijackers took control of 4 commercial airliners would lead me to June 5 2012. That day I was driving to the office in Pewaukee to send out a shipment of Ink Meters and filters the the "Bureau Of Engraving And Printing" in DC. My at the time 4 year old son was riding with this day.

As we were about half way to the office we heard on the radio the horrific news. As we ran up the stairs a few minutes after 9:00am to see the second plane hit the South Tower I instantly knew we were under attack, It was a gut reaction that brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my stomach. I told my self that instant that I would fight this battle and do what ever I could so my son wouldn't have to.

 About a year earlier I started to get involved in local politics by doing doors and handing out lit for my Rep. Robin Vos and at the time County Exec. Bill McReynolds. My first poll watching assignment was the 2000 Presidential election Bush v. Gore LOL - Just thinking back what a blessed country we were to have George Bush as our POTUS at the time of the 911 attacks.

So back to the poll watching assignment, I'm not saying I'm a know it all techie but I have tried to stay up with the latest gadgets. I had a PalmPilot the cool one that went on the Palm network. Where is this all going you are wondering, well in 2000 the poll watchers were given PalmPilots, the one that you could beam info back and forth. As the voters would come into the poll location and check in at the book with the Blue Haired Old Ladies, we would scroll through the data in the Palm and check off the voters name, the GOP voters were in the palm. Every hour or so Bill Folk would come around and beam our info into his PalmPilot and then go back to HQ and determine who hadn't voted yet and volunteers would call them and GOTV. Pretty cool idea. The bad part of this story is as the PalmPilot died so did the GOP procedure. I wonder why we don't employ these cool technology driven procedures today.

 I continued to volunteer for the Racine GOP more and more, I met Lou, little did we know at the time we would have a child in the same class at St. Rita. The friends I have made in the Racine GOP have become like family, we dont always agree but we are on the same mission, to make this country a better and safer place for our kids. Now fast forward to September 2009, I was at Fall Fest at Brighton Woods Orchard, (side note, where Fall Fest IMHO should still be held, but I guess we out grew the location and with that and a whining {whine [hwahyn, wahyn] verb, whined, whin-ing, noun: a whining utterance, sound, or tone. A feeble, peevish complaint.} liberal neighbor maybe we did have to move the location.) Little did we know that whining was the bigging of much more crying from LWNJ's.

 Anyway while at Fall Fest I find myself standing next to someone I knew was famous and gorgeous, I acted like I knew who she was and tapped elbows with her and whispered, "What are you doing here?" You know me I was all cool and stuff. She hands me her Business card and It had her picture on the left and name on the right with all the contact info including social media info for facebook and Twitter as well as LinkedIn. She said, "Some people are telling me I should run for Lt Governor, so I'm checking out the competition. Keep it a secret, as I'm not announcing, just checking out the idea." this was the Fall Fest where the at the time Governor and Lt Governor candidates were just starting to hit the campaign trail. They all spoke this day, Scott Walker, Mark Neumann, Brett Davis, Ben Collins, etc. Reince also spoke at this event. [to be continued]

No comments:

Post a Comment